Monday, July 6, 2009

Female Genital Mutilation


Last month, i purposely bought a non-fiction book from MPH at mahkota parade so that i can read it during my 2 months semester break. That was second time i went there to find a good book to read. I went with my boyfriend that day, and the title of the book really catch my sight :

- 'Do They Hear You When You Cry' - This is a harrowing true story of one woman who defied tribal custom and fought for her freedom.

Through this book, i found out that there is a ritual of female circumcision, which is also name as Female Genital Mutilation FGM that've been practising in certain countries especially Islamic countries like Africa, Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria, Togo, Sudan.... This kind of ritual and belief really freaks me out!! This is a procedure that involves partial or total removal of the female genitalia for cultural reasons.

The curiosity flooded my whole brain. I searched through internet to find some informations about this ritual. There are 3 types of circumcision, the worst type is the 3rd type which involves cutting the clitoris, labia minora and labia majora which are the whole external genitalia, then the wound will be sew leaving a small hole which only enough for peeing and menstruating. Oh my god...this is really a female's right violation. I cant imagine that this ritual practice on girls around 8 to 15 years old. They believe that woman's with clitoris will kill their child and the whole family, and they also want to ensure their virginality before or after marriage to increase male sexual pleasure. They only cut open their virgina only for sexual intercourse whenever their husband want it or giving birth then sew back again. They are treating female like some kind of slave instead of woman. I was wondering who create this unacceptable ritual to them...Why they don't create something that can be usefull to human race?? I think they 'mis-use' their brains. God...I hope this female's nightmare will end soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment